Tax Filing Information for Foreign Students
List of acronyms:
ITN: Individual Tax Number
SIN: Social Insurance Number
CRA: Canada Revenue Agency
GST/HST: Goods and services tax/Harmonized sales tax credit
T2202A Tuition, Education and Textbook Amount Certificate
NETFILE is an electronic tax-filing service that allows you to send your individual income tax and benefit return directly to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) using the Internet and a NETFILE-certified software product. It streamlines the tax-filing process and offers the following benefits:
- It is secure and confidential.
- File your returns directly from one of the NETFILE-certified products available using the NETFILE webservice.
- No more need to upload your “.tax” file.
- Refunds are issued faster (in most cases, with direct deposit, you can receive your refund in as little as eight business days).
- It is more accurate (because the CRA doesn’t re-key the information, there is less chance of errors).
- You don’t have to mail a paper return.
- You don’t have to send in receipts, unless the CRA asks for them at a later date.
- You get immediate confirmation that the CRA has received your tax return.
University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC)