“…evergreen content is considered sustainable and lasting.”
Vermont Wooden Toys
One company that really knows its target market is Vermont Wooden Toys.
Ron Voake, proprietor of Vermont Wooden Toys. Image via NBC News
- Start with a Core Idea
- Adapt to cater to individuals
- Rotate Social Media Networks
- Expand use of Mediums: blog posts, videos, ebooks, media presentation and more
What Evergreen Content is Not:
- News articles
- Statistics or numerical reports that are likely to change and go out of date
- Pieces about a specific holiday or season
- Articles focused on a current trend or pop culture fad
- Latest clothing and fashion trends
Evergreen web content has (virtually) no expiration date and ideally will retain its value over the long-term. Anything written about this year’s presidential election, for example, is not evergreen contentbecause it will become obsolete six months from now and many keywords associated with that topic will end up in the Google graveyard, never to be searched again.
Common Evergreen Formats
Below are some common evergreen formats you might consider in generating lasting content.
- Top Tips
- Instructional “How To” Tutorials
- Encyclopedia-esque Entries
- Product Reviews
Writing in these formats does not automatically make your piece evergreen, but these structures tend to work well with evergreen writing. Videos are especially effective when you need to illustrate how to do something, like how to frost a cupcake or how to grout a tub. If videos aren’t possible, consider using a series of images (photos or illustrations, diagrams, etc.) to your advantage.
Evergreen Article Ideas
Some subjects just never get old! Here are some evergreen article ideas that are old as humanity:
- Love and Romance
- Finance/Saving Money
- Weight Loss
- Jobs and Careers
- Pet Care